The International Women’s Day Conference was held March 5, 2016 at Concordia University, and marked the 41st annual celebration of Women’s day and the march held on March 8th. International Women’s Day was only officially recognized by the U.N. in 1975. The conference was put together by Women of Diverse Origins, a grassroots anti-imperialist women’s network that organizes public events to educate, discuss and empower!
Presentation playlist order:
1. Jenny-Laure Sully, who fights against the deportation of Haitians.
2. Lorraine Guay, representative for theBoycott, Divestment, Sanctions against Israeli Apartheid movement.
3. Lucina Gordon and Jeannie Calvin, two Inuit students from Nunavik (with throat-singing featured near the end).
4. Marie Boti, from the International Women’s Alliance.
5. Marta Lucia Gomez, member of the Committee for Men’s rights in Latin America / Comité des droits de l’homme de l’Amérique latine.
6. Mélanie Sarazin, president of la Fédération des femmes du Québec.
7. Final statement and reflection of the International Women’s Day conference.
This event was recorded by Claudia Edwards.